Sunday 13 November 2011

Court Again-Meeting our Barrister for the First Time -Ben Cooper!

Sky New with14th June 2011  Richard and I travelled down to London the night before the court appearance staying at my sister's in Teddington. Since last time I had researched tirelessly on the internet but what I have found out does not make pleasant reading.In a nutshell Extradition to the US is impossible to fight! Unless that is you have an extremely serious medical condition and I mean "serious" you'd have to be nearly dead!
Through trawling the internet I came across Bell-Yard Communications company London based who appeared to have an interest in UK to US extradition cases and had assisted others in this position. Before we left to go to the Court I rang their number and left a message. Very quickly I had a call from Melanie Riley who quickly gave me some advice about any media presence in terms of what to say etc.
We travelled over to the City of Westminster Magistrates Court where we had arranged to meet Richard's sister who was travelling down from Leeds.Before this hearing date I had been searching on the internet to find a Barrister experienced in extradition matters. I made a couple of possible selections and instructed Richard's Solicitor from Howell's in Sheffield to try to secure the services of one of these two. Luckily Ben Cooper who was my preferred choice was available and was keen to take Richard's case. Ben explained that in court that day would be mainly administrative matters and the setting of dates for future hearings.
Afterwards a lovely sunny afternoon in London had lunch with my sister, spoke to David Bermingham and Melanie Riley, such lovely people with so much good advice and support for us about this extradition nightmare. Melanie gave us good advice on what to say to the media. Richard wouldn't be allowed to give interviews and so this was going to be left down to me.



Lots of press reporting and media interest was to follow.  




 


1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blogs and I'm impressed! Very helpful information specially the remaining part :) I care for such information much. I was looking for this particular info for a long time. Thanks and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete